Skip to main content

Lubricants and moisturisers for the vagina

What are lubricants and moisturizers?



A lubricant is a gel or liquid applied when you are having sex to reduce friction. It is especially helpful if you are experiencing vaginal dryness and/or pain during sex. 


Just like you might use a moisturiser for your dry skin, you can use a vaginal moisturiser, on your vulva and inside your vagina if you experience vaginal dryness which can happen when you’re breastfeeding or going though menopause.

  • Certain medications can also make your vagina drier.
  • A moisturizer can help increase moisture and elasticity in your vagina and vulva.  

3 types of Lubricants


1. Water-based

  • For example: Good Clean Love, Pjur, Yes, Sliquid H2O, Slippery stuff, Floravi 

  • Avoid the ones that include these ingredients: Parabenes, Propylene glycol or Propanediol, Glycerin, Antiseptics (ex : nonoxynol-9, chlorexhydine, polyquaternium-15), perfumes, artificial flavors, essential oils 



2. Silicon-based

  • For example: Uberlube, Pjur Sliquid Silk, Durex, Silver, Floravi 

  • Do not use if you are using sexual toys made of silicon or a pessary as it can break down the silicon and ruin the toy/pessary  


3. Oil-based

  • For example: Yes, Coconut oil, Olive oil   

  • Do not use if you are using a condom  




You might have to try a few brands before you find one that you enjoy.


What type of lubricant to use when trying to become pregnant?

Did you know?

  • Avoid lubricants that contain glycol or glycerin 

  • Only use water-based lubricants


Moisturizers can be used in combination with a lubricant.  Depending on the brand, you apply it daily or a couple of times a week, ideally at night before you go to bed. Follow the instructions in the package.

Brands such as: 

  • Gynatrof, Replens, Zestica, Good Clean Love

Where to buy moisturizers

Moisturizers can be bought:

  • In pharmacies 

  • Online 

  • In sex shops


If you have any questions or need some advice, ask your doctor or nurse to be seen by a physiotherapist who has advanced training in pelvic health problems.  There might be one in your community.

Or you can contact the pelvic health team directly.

Our Partners

Grand Council of the Crees logo
Santé et des Services sociaux logo
Health Canada logo