Job Posting Number: P-1920-0401
1. About this job posting
2. About this position
Person who, based on a good knowledge of the needs and expectations of the community, contributes to the definition of objectives and information and communication programs, updates resources and carries out activities to promote the circulation of information and encourage communication within the organization; participates in the evaluation and development of general internal and external information programs.
Working within a team structure with other communications professionals, and reporting to the Coordinator of Communications in the Corporate Services Department, the incumbent will:
• Work with designated departments and initiatives to analyze their needs and develop communication plans reflecting a culturally safe approach and best practices for communication in a health and social services organization;
• Assist departments and initiatives in the realization of those plans, by providing, or coordinating the provision of, services including: creation and updating of web pages and brochure content, photography/videography, writing, graphic design, and the production of posters, pamphlets, display materials and interior signage;
• Analyzes target audiences and uses reliable and measurable strategies to reach and engage audiences in the Cree communities of Eeyou Istchee and other stakeholder groups;
• Assist with the organization and promotion of public events of the CBHSSJB; provide communication support at public events, such as staffing information tables, photography, social media, and coordinating media coverage;
• Use CBHSSJB digital platforms to disseminate information, including creehealth.org website and social media, and internal systems including Alfresco and Outlook;
• Occasionally provide editorial support to strategic communications of senior management, including speeches, slide presentations and briefing documents;
• Follow all communication policies and procedures, organizational style guidelines and the visual identity and brand of the CBHSSJB; assist in the further development of policies, procedures and guidelines;
• Share knowledge and be a coach to junior members of the team;
• Attend weekly team meetings and maintain ongoing links with other members of the Communications team inside Corporate Services and in other departments, using collaborative tools.
Must have a bachelor's degree in literature and languages, humanities, social sciences or other relevant academic discipline, such as communications or journalism.
• Three (3) years of relevant experience in communications, preferably within the public sector in an Indigenous-focused and/or Health and Social Services organization.
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Excellent understanding of the requirements for culturally safe communication in a health and social services organization serving First Nations clientele;
• Good interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to listen to client needs and create effective communication strategies and content responding to client needs;
• Knowledge of Cree culture and communities and health and social services systems in Eeyou Istchee and Quebec are assets;
• Advanced written skills with the ability to turn complex material into simple, easy to understand messages for a general audience (see language requirements below);
• Hands-on skills in relevant areas such as development of communications plans, digital and print content, social media, web content management, media relations, audiovisual production, and graphic design. The incumbent must have a relevant mix of skills and the ability to manage outsourcing partners in areas where they do not do the work themselves;
• Capacity to plan and manage projects, multitask and work under deadline pressure;
• Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• We are seeking a multilingual individual with superior writing skills in at least one of the languages used in the organization’s internal and external communications: Eastern James Bay Cree, English, or French, and at least intermediate competency in Eastern James Bay Cree, English or French;
• Cree Language Certificate is an asset.
• Willing to travel;
• Proficiency in art and drawing is an asset.
• Work location : All the offices of the Cree Board of Health and Social Services of James Bay.