Skip to main content

Mental Health Services Off-Territory

What is it?

When specialist care is required or when an individual’s needs cannot be met in the community, emergency crisis counseling is available off-Territory, as are follow up psychological appointments. 

Who is it for?

This service is for those needing specialist mental health care not available in Eeyou Istchee, as well as for Cree beneficiaries outside of Eeyou Istchee. This service is available on a case-by-case basis. 

Where is it offered?

Off-territory mental health services are offered in collaboration with Wiichiihiituun for clients needing intensive therapy and/or emergency mental health outside of the community, such as in Montreal or another community. 

What is it like?

If you or someone you know requires this service, you will be referred by your local CMC. The CMC and Wiichiihiituun collaborate to arrange travel and accommodation in the centre where you will be treated; this could be in Montreal, or in some other centre.  

How long does it last?

Each eligible beneficiary is entitled up 22 hours of counselling services, although the duration of treatment also depends on the individual’s particular needs.   

How can I get this service?

If you require this service and live in Eeyou Istchee, you will be referred by health care professionals at your local CMC.  

This service is also available to all eligible beneficiaries temporarily living off territory – for example, students attending post-secondary school and families who work and live off territory. If you are a Cree beneficiary in the Ottawa or Montreal region, we can connect you with a Cree Health Board psychologist in your area.  

Where can I learn more?

To know more about this service, contact the Maanuuhiikuu Department in Chisasibi at 819-855-7126. 

Our Partners

Grand Council of the Crees logo
Santé et des Services sociaux logo
Health Canada logo