Skip to main content


What is it?

Audiology is concerned with hearing and hearing loss. Audiologists can assess hearing, address hearing loss, prevent hearing damage, propose solutions to hearing problems and refer patients to specialists. 

 They also address vestibular or dizziness problems. 

Audiologists help people  

  • Measure and understand their hearing loss 
  • Adequately protect their ears when they are exposed to loud noises (e.g. hunting) 
  • Get information and solutions for tinnitus (ringing in the ears) 
  • Advise the hearing impaired  on tools and resources, including the use of hearing aids 
  • Diagnose hearing problems among young children 

Who is it for?

Audiology is for anyone who is concern about a hearing problem. Audiologists work with people of all ages: babies, children, youth, teenagers, adults and elders. They work with individuals, families, communities and businesses.  

Where is it offered?

Audiology services are now offered at CMCs in all communities except Eastmain and Waswanipi.

To improve access to hearing care, the CBHSSJB is training community health workers (PCCRs) to screen children under the age of 5. 

What is it like?

The hearing screening test and the complete hearing test are simple and painless.  

What the audiologist does: 

  1. Gathers information to understand your hearing difficulties. You will be asked questions about the health of your ears and how you manage throughout your day.  
  2. Examines your ears and performs various tests to measure your hearing. 
  3. Reviews and discusses the results, strategies and solutions with you. 
  4. Develops and provides treatment. Depending on your needs and priorities, the audiologist aims to help you make the most of your hearing, whatever stage of life you are in.  

How long does it last?

The consultation with the audiologist takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes in total. 


How can I get this service?

To get this service, ask for an appointment with a nurse or a doctor at your CMC, so you can discuss your needs with them. They will refer you or your child to an audiologist. Ask your doctor for more information.

Our Partners

Grand Council of the Crees logo
Santé et des Services sociaux logo
Health Canada logo