- Addiction and substance use
The Regional Department of Public Health of the CBHSSJB issues regular updates on incidents involving alcohol and drugs in Eeyou Istchee. This is the fifth communication, dated December 9, 2017.
Download the PDF file below for the full communication and contact information.
- There have been 55 incidents of serious and potentially-life threatening drug-related intoxications in Eeyou Istchee since August 1st 2017
- There is no indication of opioid or fentanyl contamination of drugs as yet, but we must remain vigilant
- Street drugs can be dangerous as they are often mixed with unknown substances or contaminated without people’s knowledge
- Drug-consumption, and particularly binging and mixing drugs, can increase the risk of intoxication and death
- Even substances such as alcohol, cocaine or cannabis that are not contaminated, can still be very harmful if consumed in large quantities
- If you or someone you know is experiencing an overdose, or feels unwell or unusual after using alcohol or drugs (e.g. confusion, breathing problems, difficulty staying awake, etc.) call emergency services right away.