Health Insurance Cards - Not having one is serious business.

In case of an Emergency Surgery: If you don’t have a card, or have an expired card, you will have to pay for the surgery yourself. You will be reimbursed but only if you get a card within one year.

In case of a non-Emergency Surgery: If you don’t have a card, or have an expired card, the surgery will be cancelled until you get a card.

Please make sure you and all your dependents (children and elders) get a card before the next medical appointment down south. Always carry a card with you when you travel down south.

To find out how to get or renew a Health Insurance Card: 

Contact RAMQ (Régie de l'assurance medicale Québec) directly. Wait for the English message which you will hear after the French message.

Phone: 1-800-561-9749    


Renewal Notice

Lost or damaged/stolen card


What happens if I don’t have a Health Insurance Card when I go for medical treatment?

If you don't have your Health Insurance Card with you or if your card has expired, you must pay for the services you receive and then apply to the Régie to get the money back. The Cree Health Board will not reimburse your money.

To get reimbursed, ask your doctor for the form Demande de remboursement à la personne assurée, and send it to the Régie as soon as possible. No later than one year after the service date.

What happens if my card is out-of-date?

You are required to renew your Health Insurance Card before it expires if you wish to receive covered services free of charge under the Health Insurance Plan. Save yourself a lot of worries and have a valid card with you.

If your card expired more than 6 months ago, you will be charged $25 to renew it.

I had to pay for my medical treatment. How do I get the money back?

Please send the original detailed invoices, the form Demande de remboursement à la personne assurée and proof of payment showing that the fee has been paid. Without these documents, the Régie cannot process your request.

Mail the documents to this address:

Request for reimbursement
Direction des affaires professionnelles
Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec
Case postale 6600
Québec (Québec)
G1K 7T3

Where can I find out more about CNIHB (Cree Non-Insured Health Benefits)?