Chronic diseases are long-term diseases that worsen over time. They have many different causes and can affect a person at any stage of their life, although they usually appear as people get older.
Chronic diseases usually start with mild symptoms that slowly get worse until they limit a person’s movement or cause disability. Most chronic diseases eventually cause death. Nearly 60 per cent of all deaths worldwide are the result of chronic disease conditions.
Common chronic disease conditions include:
- Chronic respiratory diseases
- Heart disease
All people are at risk of getting a chronic disease, but there are ways to protect yourself. The best and easiest ways to help prevent chronic disease conditions are:
- Get active: physical activity strengthens the body and the immune system
- Eat well: a healthy diet including fruit and vegetables is an important part of disease prevention
- Quit smoking: smoking is a cause of many chronic disease conditions
- Reduce alcohol consumption: heavy drinking puts a person at higher risk for many chronic diseases
Community Storiesᐋ ᑎᐹᒋᒧᓈᓂᐎᒡ
April 19 2018Summary:On April 20, 2018 the CBHSSJB launched a Smartphone App of medical terms in East Cree dialects of Southern Inland, Southern Coastal and... Read More
December 11 2017The Breast Cancer Screening program has begun its regional tour of the communities of Eeyou Istchee. The airplane containing the Sophie mobile breast... Read More
November 06 2017In this book, 27 storytellers offer their rich perspective on life in Eeyou Istchee to author Ruth DyckFehderau. Connecting these stories is a... Read More